ba

Voting

Friday, November 12, 2010

Trip to Japan 2010

It was a blessing to be able to go over to Japan alone and visit my dear friend, Tomoko and her new son, Noah. Uwe and Tomoko have been friends of our for four years, but Tomoko and I have known each other for 10. We became friends while I was here English teacher in northern Japan. We have a special bond in Christ....9 years ago when she became a Christian I helped lead her to the Lord in prayer. We have remained close since then.

Four years ago, Tomoko came over to America for my wedding. She came and went in four days! It was an amazing wedding gift! My trip to Japan this time was in return for her favor to come to our wedding and to meet their precious new son, Noah.


I arrived at Narita airport on a Wednesday. Tomoko and baby Noah were there awaiting my arrival. This was the first moment meeting him. The first evening we had dinner together, then she helped me along my way to my cousin, Lila and Kenny's place. I spent the rest of the evening catching up with them.
Thursday we got together in the latter part of the afternoon. We visited a delicious ramen shop and walked around Tokyo University campus were Uwe works.


Have you ever had one of those friends whom you can just pick up where you left off with after not seeing them for years? Well, Tomoko is that friend for me. We, of course, did some catch up talk, but it was like we had never parted.


Noah is an exceptionally good baby. He sleeps, eats and smiles when he is suppose to. It was PURE JOY to be around him. Tomoko is SUCH a good mother! It was as though she was always meant to be one.


Noah warmed right up to me. He was so easy to be around. Never fussing or anything! The double chin is PRICELESS!


Spending time with my mother's first cousin, Lila was also a real treat. I am always reminded of where I came from when I am around her. She has such joy in her heart and is alway ready to encourage those around her. She and Kenny have been missionaries in Japan for more than 40 years. However, like Lila says, she is 200% American living in Japan. Distance make the American heart grow fonder.


One morning we went over to Mark's house, Lila and Kenny's youngest son. It was fun to see their home. Mark and his family live in California and visit Japan often, so with their own home they can
come over anytime!
The view from their 4th floor is AMAZING! This is looking down and to the left. Looking straight out over the balcony is something else. They are up high above lots of homes. It's very cool!
I love the streets in Japan. Small and quaint. I was pretty much on CLOUD 9 the whole week I was there. Not a concern in the world. God is Good. He cares for those He loves and this trip was proof of that once again. My cup runneth over.


Yummy Starbuck's Mocha. It was a morning treat.....pretty much everyday!There are times in life when you need to GET AWAY as a woman and mom. For the two of us, those moments are rare, few and far between. On Sunday, Tomoko's husband volunteered to take care of Noah so I could take Tomoko to LaQua Onsen (hot spring). BOY, DID WE ENJOY OURSELVES!!!!!!! We spent 2 wonderful hours alone, with no babies, pampering ourselves. We were relaxed and refreshed after a nice onsen. Tomoko and I were together everyday. We scampered all over Tokyo by trains and taxi. She is a perfect Japanese host (and tour guide). One of the fun resturants we got food from was Moonmin Bakery. It is a Finnish Pastry Shop.



I don't know all the different species of trees in Japan, but I am always intrigued by various ones because I like doing pen/ink drawings of them. This was one on our walk home from the onsen.

Daddy and Noah getting some fresh air while we were at the onsen. They greeted us as we walked up to their home.

Up close and CUTE!!!


The Schneider family
We went to church together on Sunday. We went to Ochanomizu (means Tea and water) train station, walked about a block and arrived at New Hope International Church. It was great!

Sunday night walked around Ginza then had dinner together at an amazing Japanese Tofu Resturant. It was very tradional and very delicious.

Noah slept through most of dinner.

There are LOTS of things of like about Japan. One of the things are the streets. Some of my favorite memories are walking or biking around aimlessly looking at everything. Here are some of the sights I found intrigueing

Such a happy boy!The last day I was there, the three of them saw me off at Ueno Station. Tomoko and Noah took me all the way out to Narita which was REALLY nice! We had lunch together, then I was off. It is a trip I will always treasure and never forget. Thanks to Lila and Kenny for all the fun conversations and peanut butter! I look forward to the next time....


And to Tomoko and Uwe~ I love you guys! I can't wait to be together again soon with our families. Thank you for all your generosity and kindness.

2 comments:

CJ Olson said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time!! Thank you for the beautiful pictures!!

Tomoko said...

Thank YOU very much for everything! Oh, we had soo much fun!!! After reading what you wrote, the memories we had together in Noshiro came back to me:sweet memories. Now I cannot imagine my life without Jesus. I love you too and looking forward to seeing you and your family next time!!!