ba

Voting

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Dan's adventure! Racial Profiling??

Nihongo de wakarimasen! That would be the easiest way to tell people in Japan that you DO NOT understand Japanese. It comes in handy!

What started out as a short bike ride to run some errands turned into quite an adventure. This afternoon I, Dan, went on a nice bike ride to the Post Office, the Bank, the Library to return movies and a short stop at the corner store to pick up some much needed groceries. Along the way, I decided that since it was such a nice day I would ride all the way to the Grocery store since the Library is half way there anyway.

On the way back is when the fun begins. We have three bikes here at the house we live in, all passed down from former missionaries and the English program. Two are Japanese bikes (one red and one blue with baskets on the front and back) and one an American mountain bike with a basket added to the back for carrying things. The Japanese bikes are a bit small for me and my legs get really sore from riding them, so I usually ride the Mountain bike, especially on longer bike rides, like to the Grocery store. So that is the bike I was riding today.

On the way back to the house I was riding on this sort of side walk and wasn't more than a block or two from the house when a Police car drives by me. Those of you who know me well will know that I am no stranger to being pulled over. In fact the Police LOVE me. I have been pulled over in every state I have lived in and a few times in the states in between. I have been given tickets for things that I have done, and some that I have not. I have been let go with a warning, i even once got in a car accident with an off duty cop... of course that one was my fault. I have been escorted home by cops, hand cuffed and even spent a fun night in a holding cell. My Grandfather was a NYC cop and so is my brother in Law...cops and I have a sort of Love-Hate relationship. Apparently this extends all the way to the FAR EAST in Japan.

When this Police car passed me I looked over and saw that there were 3 cops in the car, one driving, one in the passenger seat and one in the rear of the car. It slowed down, honked at me and two cops got out. What am I getting a biking ticket?? Was I speeding?? I stopped not knowing what I did wrong and I got off my bike. One police officer came over to speak to me with the other standing behind him with some sort of clip board and a pen. The other drove off in the car so as not to block traffic on the road. Again I have no idea what is going on. The first cop starts speaking to me a mile a minute in Japanese and before I get to tell him, he notices that confused look on my face and asks 'Nihongo de wakarimasu ka', which is him asking me if I understand Japanese and I say 'Wakarimasen' (I don't understand) and we both know we are in for a tough conversation. He tries to speak English to me managing to ask me where the Safty Number for my bike is... the SAFETY WHAT??? I have no idea what he is talking about. He manages to convey to me somehow that he is checking to make sure the bike is not stolen... STOLEN Are you kidding me? I am NOT making this up. This could only happen to me, I have all the luck with Cops. He next proceeds to ask me in broken English, "bike where buy", (otherwise known as 'where did you buy this bike') and while I am contemplating how in the wolrd I am going to tell this man that I did not buy the bike, I have no idea where the "safety Number" is, I cannot prove that it is not stolen, the bike was handed down to me from the English program and former English teachers, Please Don't send me to jail... Again... God Stepped In!

It just so happens that the spot that the police "pulled" me and my bike over, is right next to an apartment building. This building also happens to be where the Church Secretary for the church I work at lives. She is usually at the church around 3 but today she just happend to be home for some reason. She also just happened to be walking out of her home and saw me with the Cops. So from over my shoulder I here Dan-san what is it? What wrong?

Thank You God!
Though Keiko-san (the secretary) speaks very little English, the police officer was able to explain the situation to her. She could not translate to me but I had figured out enough of what was going on to answer her anyway. I told her the bike was not mine but belonged to the English program and that it was a former English teachers bike that was left here for future teachers. She understood enough that she was able to explain the situation to the Police Officer and he let me off the hook, I guess?! The Lord works in mysterious ways, but he is always there.
I guess I will not be riding that bike for awhile until I can figure out what to do about a safety number. But hey, at least I got yet another fun adventure to tell everyone.
God Bless.

5 comments:

CJ Olson said...

Dan, OH my goodness!! What a story that you can tell! I've never heard of a sticker that you need to have for biking. Crazy!! Glad that everything worked out. It amazing the fun stories that you get to tell.

Bob and Karen said...

You always have been a cop magnet!!! What a story!

Bob and Karen said...

Hey Dan, I like the clean shaven look! Love you honey, Mommy

Kari, RN said...

Dan, great story! I remember once in Fergus we all left Perkins in our separate cars to head home, and we all laughed a little as we passed you being pulled over by a cop. I can't remember how it turned out, but it's a little fun to giggle about now! Good luck with the saftey number!

Kaila Cook said...

Well, that was a great story Erika and I had a great laugh over it. I love how two of them jumped out and then the other drove away. Such a japanese thing to do. I never knew you spent a night in a cell or got taken home in hand cuffs. You are amazing! We love you!!